1. Industry

Your suggestion is on its way!

An email with a link to:

was emailed to:

Thanks for sharing About.com with others!

New Smoking Policy on Cruise Ships

By June 16, 2011

Carnival and Princess Cruises have both decided to change the smoking policies on all their ships. They both surveyed customers and the results showed that the majority of customers prefer to have a non smoking environment aboard the ships, and very few passengers choose to smoke in their cabins. The cruise lines are asking travel agents to spread the word, especially to those customers already confirmed for sailings.

An overview of Carnival's new smoking policy:

• Effective June 16, 2011, cigarette smoking will only be allowed in dance clubs and designated areas within the casino and bar, and in some of the ships' jazz bars.
  • Smoking cigarettes and cigars will be allowed in designated outside open deck areas on the ships.
  • Effective December, 2011, smoking will be banned in all guest staterooms. Those passengers with balcony staterooms may smoke outside on their balcony, except for balconies on spa suites.
  • Guests violating the stateroom rule will be assessed a $250 fee on their Sail & Sign account.

Princess Cruises new smoking policy updates include:

• For all voyages departing after January 15, 2012, there will be no smoking in any staterooms and balconies.
  • A charge of $250 will be charged for each violation to the passenger's account.
  • There will be designated areas for smoking around the ships, including some bar and casino areas, a cigar lounge, and some outdoor areas.
  • Notifications will be sent to travel agents and passengers who will be departing after January 15, 2012.

Those who are smokers will certainly not be happy about the new policies. But it must cost a fortune to rid the cabin from the smoke odor, and there's always that danger of a cigarette creating a fire as well. Maybe it will save the cruise lines money having less cleaning and having to refurbish some of the smoking cabins. Maybe insurance costs will go do down, saving the cruise lines money.

How will this effect cruise bookings? What are your views, travel agents?

Comments

July 3, 2011 at 7:52 am
(1) Sharon says:

I think all Non-smokers can rest comfortably in the fact that there will few to NO smokers on your next cruise. If you find one, just report him/her.
Your Lobby is strong, and you have eradacated these obnoxious Smokers.
Travel in Peace.

July 6, 2011 at 12:01 am
(2) tourism says:

Sharon, thanks for your input. Certainly it has become more of a hardship on smokers who like to cruise. Time will tell what the effect will be on cruise ship customer numbers.

July 8, 2011 at 5:22 pm
(3) John says:

@ Sharon- dang lady, lighten up a bit! (Pun intended) ” If you find one, just report him/her?” They aren’t rabid animals, but as usual a few obnoxious ones (smokers, that is) ruin it for everyone else. Absolutely, let’s continue till we eradicate (which you misspelled, BTW) the species! Travel in Peace?, I hope you do, to another dimension.

September 16, 2011 at 3:06 pm
(4) Lauren says:

I can’t believe what I’m reading. Wow. So many people in this world have the “It’s all about me attitude.” Get over yourselves! There are so many more important things in this world to worry about i.e., homeless, abused children… and you take the time to comment on such a small item. I hate the smell of coffee… Do I expect people to quit drinking coffee? Of course not, if I did, who would I think I was ….. ? God??? Unbelievable! I can’t believe I’m commenting on such a petty item. I am so annoyed by all the selfish people in this world! Again, get over yourselves!

October 12, 2011 at 1:14 am
(5) Josie says:

Please !!!! Get over yourselves is right. I hate the smell of cheap perfume, but I have to put up with it. I hate the smell of people in Depends, but I have to put up with it.
I hate the smell of obese sweaty people, but I have to put up with it. This is simply political correctness gone overboard
(excuse the pun) Why can’t people just mind their own business, and get a life. Stop trying to tell others how to live. Get a life, you just might enjoy yourselves.

October 18, 2011 at 8:38 am
(6) Roy says:

Can anyone explain to me why every single bar onboard simply has to be “smoke free” please?
If the cruise lines had any sense at all they would have one bar where smoking was permitted.
Having just one smoking bar would give the 25% of passengers (the smokers) somewhere to socialise, and the rest of the passengers would have all the rest of the ship for themselves.
Non-smokers would have no reason to visit the smokers bar.
Everyone happy,

October 25, 2011 at 2:49 pm
(7) Marie says:

if people don’t like the smell of cigarette smoke..they can do as I do…I cruise on more elegant ships that do not “CATER” to the smokers! Smokers are actually quite selfish — it is always about them. Forget the fact that cigarette smoke is toxic — they don’t care. However, I do care — and I chose not to cruise on those lower end cruise ships who cater to the smokers… there are other ships..it is worth the extra $$. However, I am glad to see more and more cruise ships are finally waking up and realizing that cigarette smokes do stink alot –

October 28, 2011 at 10:11 am
(8) Susan says:

I have had my last princess cruise. I’ve had 20 cruises but no more. I will miss them but not being able to smoke on my balcony is going too far. I like long cruises and enjoy sitting on my balcony with a good book and if I feel like it a cigarette. Bye princess.

November 18, 2011 at 2:19 pm
(9) Donna says:

Susan, I am with you!!! I will not be going on Princess ships any longer for the same reason. Spending money for a vacation and not being able to fully enjoy yourself on your own balcony because you smoke is unthinkable. I cannot understand why the cruise line cannot designate a number of cabins for smokers all in the same area and give them the rights the same as everyone else. Did anyone ever think of the smoke that comes from the smoke stack on the ship???? Please don’t inhale!

December 2, 2011 at 5:14 am
(10) Elina says:

I think people are not thinking very good, car smoke is much worse for people if you speak to your doctor. Also I don’t think cruise lines can make any profits withour beer and cigarettes, also if cruise lines have any brain they would make for anyone very comfortable rules, have non-smoking and smoking cabins , and no problems with it. Also think bars will stay empty and no profits at all. If no profits for cruise lines they will need increase the cost in order just cover the expenses . Finally you will pay double price for everything around !!! If I would make these rules, I would make everybody happy !!! Make non-smoking floor, or non smoking side of the ship.

December 9, 2011 at 6:59 pm
(11) william says:

part2: Look at Vegas they tried to make it like Disneyland and almost went broke,ruined the whole reason for adults to go.So look at the new ad,”What happens in Vegas…….DONNA ,SUSAN,ELINA, are right . 2 CRUISE LINES TRIED IT ,FILED CH 11.There are 8 lines not bowing to America pressure that have worked for 35 yrs. I stated ,59,last career,ICU-nurse,I go to the Balcony ,not in the room;30 yrs wife is allergic to smoke,1st wife died at 39 not from smoking. I obey the rules,one side with smoking balconies grouped,Japanese smarted people in the world ,average 15 pt higher on sat vs US,they all smoke,i am not defending it.I have been on 60 cruises,Europa 12 times spending 30K no smoking in Free French waters, 3 bad months these rules will change.

December 30, 2011 at 12:52 am
(12) Peg says:

I am a smoker. Why is this issue such a problem? Cruise Lines should offer smoke free ships for NON-smokers and smoking permitted ships for smokers/people who are not bothered by the smoke. Then you could make the choice when choosing the ship. Even though I smoke, I would not want it around where I am eating, but anywhere else would make me want to cruise again. If it’s that bad….why are they still being sold??

January 7, 2012 at 2:47 am
(13) Gary says:

I can see not allowing people to smoke in their cabin, but Not allowing someone to smoke on their own Balcony is pretty stupid. I do not smoke and someone smoking next door does not bother me. There are more rude smells on a balcony than someone smoking next door. Pretty insane.