When a client asks a travel professional on a recommendation for an ecotourism vacation, what destinations comes to mind? Ecotourism brings to mind natural, unspoiled surroundings. The Kingfisher Bay Resort at Fraser Island, Australia fits the description.
The resort retreat sits amongst the beauty of the designated World Heritage Site, Fraser Island. The staff at Kingfisher Bay Resort will arrange tours or directions to many of the well-preserved wonders of the island, or have their own guides escort groups.
The resort is located about four to five hours from Brisbane along the Bruce Highway, then about 45 minutes ferry from Hervey Bay, Queensland, Australia. QantasLink now has shuttle air service from Brisbane to Hervey Bay. The location can be a journey to get to, but the reward upon arrival should be worth the effort.
What makes this eco-friendly resort unique is that they actually do try and preserve the natural setting of the island. They have their own sewage treatment plant, locally known as the “poo farm.” The resort offers a tour of these “behind the scenes” programs, including the worm farm, herb garden, and a farm highlighting native foods. The produce is then featured in the resort restaurants.
Guests arriving from the ferry are checked in with a warm welcome, then guided by timbered walkways to one of the variety of accommodations the resort offers amidst a tropical setting.
Accommodation choices are:
- Tropical guest rooms.
- Sea or spa view rooms.
- Two bedroom Bush Hideaway Villas.
- Three bedroom Pananus Villa in the treetops.
- Banksia Executive Villas, set on tree-covered dunes for ultimate indulgence.
The resort is perfect for individuals, couples, groups and corporate retreats. Resort amenities include:
- The Village Centre, for groceries, toiletries, and gifts
- Four swimming pools
- The Seabelle Restaurant
- The award winning Maheno Restaurant
- The Sand Bar and Bistro for casual and pool side dining
- The Jetty Hut for drinks, while watching the sunset over Fraser Coast
- Kingfisher Spa Sanctuary
- Four bars
- Guest laundry and dry cleaning service
- Post office
- Conference facilities
- 24 hour reception
- Child minding
- Porter service
Endless activity choices are offered at the Kingfisher resort, or can be arranged for their guests. Here are 20 ideas guests may consider:
- Junior Eco Ranger program provides a variety of activities for the youth staying at the property.
- Ranger guided tours watching for dingoes around the island.
- Canoe through the mangrove colony.
- A picnic lunch set up to enjoy during daily adventures.
- Watch along the shores for humpback whales.
- See the Maheno Wreck along 75 Mile Beach highway which shares the “road” with Air Fraser planes and four wheel drive vehicles.
- Look for any of the 354 species of birds on the island.
- Search for brumbies, the wild horses that inhabit the island.
- Take a corporate team building exercise on the beach.
- See the gorgeous colors at Indian Head sand dunes. Fraser Island is the only place in the world where rainforests grow on the sand dunes.
- Relax on the beach named “The World’s Best Beach” by Discovery Channel.
- Visit Lake McKenzie, the crystal clear lake made of almost pure silica white sand, or one of the other scenic lakes scattered around the island.
- Swim in the Champagne tidal pools.
- Take a plane ride over the island.
- See the island by helicopter.
- Watch turtles in many of the lakes.
- Enjoy sport and game fishing.
- Take a ranger guided night walk looking for acid frogs, insectivorous bats, and other native species.
- Take a hike.
- Rent a Four wheel drive vehicle and explore.
Tourism Leisure Corporation manages the Kingfisher Bay Resort and the Undara Experience, with the focus on responsible tourism. For travel professionals with clients looking for a unique ecotourism experience, the Kingfisher Bay Resort should possibly be considered.
Please take a look at my blog visiting Kingfisher Bay Resort.