There are all sorts of travel customers and some just like to have clothing optional, or be able to take it all off, when on vacation. There are clothing optional resorts, nudist resorts or naturist resorts. While on the other hand there are lifestyle resorts or swinger clubs.
Some travelers just like to go "au natural," and are definitely not swingers. Travel agents should without doubt get an idea of what their customers are looking for before sending them off on vacation. Many clothing optional resorts generally require guests to be clothed while in restaurants or lobby areas. While nudist, or naturist resorts, often allow guests full nudity throughout the resorts. Other travelers may just want the option of going topless. Regardless, this niche group can be a valuable clientele for a travel agency, if an agent knows of interested customers.
Vacationers that may just want a clothing optional day at the beach may ask for a hotel package close to one of these clothing optional beaches found in the U.S.
Black's Beach La Jolla, CA. Even though nudity was outlawed in 1977, the law has mainly been overlooked, and has become a major tourist attraction in the San Diego area, near Torrey Pines Golf.
Gunnison Beach, Sandy Hook, NJ, is a former decommissioned military base. The all male soldiers used to skinny dip, and shortly after the military base closed it became a clothing optional beach in 1972. It is conveniently located across from Lower Manhattan even with ferry service.
Haulover Beach, Miami Florida, has been clothing option since 1992 after winning a court battle for clothing optional at this beach. This area has been cleaned up from a drug trafficking area to a thriving substantial economic boost for Haulover, particularly with the addition of parking fees.
Little Beach, Maui, Hawaii, is a quiet cove shielded with rock formations, so it can remain private for clothing optional sun bathers. The beach is only 170 yards wide, but it is arguably one of the best nude beaches in the world.
For those that want a full nudist or clothing optional resort stay, travel agents may look at one of these five resorts:
- Caliente Club & Resorts are located in Tampa and the Dominican Republic. The resort in Tampa offers guests a variety of accommodations including villas, condominiums, casitas, and hotel suites. Guests must obtain a daily or annual membership, as the resort is a private club. The room rate at Caliente Caribe in Abreu D.R., is all inclusive. The rate includes taxes, dining, premium cocktails, fitness facilities and more.
- Desert Sun Resort, a mile from Palm Springs, CA, provides a secluded, non judgmental atmosphere for couples only who choose a clothing optional vacation destination. There are hotel rooms, villas, and condominiums to choose from. This is a full service resort offering many resort amenities including tennis, swimming, and hot tubs. A membership is required here as well.
- Hidden Beach Resort, Au Naturel Club, by Karisma, is an all inclusive luxury, adults only nudist resort, located about an hour south of Cancun. The five star, upscale secluded resort, is backed by the reputation of the Karisma Resorts brand and includes 42 luxury beach front suites and a completely private beach for hotel guests only.
- Hedonism Resort, in Jamaica, says they are "a sandbox for your inner child, nourishment for the mind, spirit and soul." The resort rooms all have king beds with a ceiling mirror. The resort is divided into the "nude" section, where the clothing is optional, and the "prude" side of the resort for guest choosing clothing, with rooms located on the main beach. Nudity is not permitted in public areas or on the main beach. Guests are welcome at either section of the resort.
- Couples Resorts Jamaica offers topless sunbathing at some of their beaches. Couples Tower Isle, Couples Sans Sans Souci and Couples Negril all offer waterfront areas for "au naturel" sunbathing.
More Caribbean destinations offering clothing optional, or nude beaches are:
- Club Orient Resort, St. Martin.
- Hawksbill Beach, Anguilla.
- Grand Saline and Gouverneur Beach, St. Barths.
- Point Tarare, Gudeloupe.
Tour Operators specializing in nude and clothing optional tours:
- Bare Necessities Tour and Travel, specializing in nude cruises, but also offers nude or clothing optional land vacations as well.
- Go Classy Tours, registered with the American Society of Travel Agents (ASTA), specializes in nude and travel optional vacations in Mexico and the Caribbean.
Additional tour operators such as GoGo Worldwide Vacations and Funjet Vacations sell vacations to many of the destinations and resorts as well.
Travel agents should not overlook the clothing optional, or "au natural" traveler. Knowing the right clientele can be a profitable group or individual vacation business to acquire.